Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Questions

I often ask if there are any questions about anything we have been studying recently to start a class. Occasionally, a hand will go in the air.  Most of the time there is an extended moment of silence, as the students look down at their desks, shuffle papers and try to avoid eye contact.  For some reason many students act like asking a question is like going to confession.

I have said many times to my students that the ideal class would be nothing but student questions and discussion of those questions.  After all, questions the students have are going to be more meaningful to them and will lead to more learning. The problem is kids have been taught that answers are more important than questions. We always say it's about what you know, not what you still need, or want, to know. Real learners understand there is a lot they don't know, and are comfortable with that. They even enjoy it.  As Socrates said, "The only true wisdom is knowing you know nothing."  I hope as a teacher I can follow Twain's idea to never let "my schooling interfere with my education".

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://karlymitchgov.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. http://kellyglasergov.blogspot.com/?m=1

    ReplyDelete
  4. Http://anniewilsongov.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete