Sunday, February 22, 2015

It's all coming together

     It seems so clear in my mind, but I sometimes have trouble understanding why others can't see it.  Making a truly student centered classroom has been a process that has taken me years to formulate.   The day to day management has been the biggest problem.  Until now the technology has been the biggest impediment.  With the chromebooks being given to every student next year, that hurdle is gone.
     The other impediment has been the students.  They are very well trained, and like any trained thing, they don't adjust well to change.  Eventually they will understand I am trying to free them from the monotony of contemporary education.  I am trying to give them a voice and a choice in what and how they learn.  Even if it is just in my classroom.
     That leads me to the third impediment, the system itself.  Some of my colleagues and I joke that we are in the Matrix, and like the movie, we are the only ones that see it.  So how do I, as one teacher, stand out and do what I know is right, when the rest of the system continues to play the game?  The only way I know how, just by doing it.
     So how exactly is it going to work?  I am pretty sure I am close to having the answer to that question.  Maybe another blog post soon.

1 comment: